My team decomposed a monolithic IP/SMS hybrid messaging platform built on PHP and bare metal hardware, designed to handle several hundred thousand DAU, to a cloud based, containerized, microservices platform written in Go that could scale to millions of DAU. I started by rebuilding the team, the organization and the development process from a dysfunctional engineering organization to a reliable, enjoyable and stable one.
As the organization stabilized and became more autonomous, I focused first on increasing service level towards the BI and Customer Acquisition teams, greatly improving their productivity, then on directing client app development and optimization. I also worked hand in hand with the CPO to translate product aspirations into technical requirements.
Since these processes were established I have been contributing more to the technical development of the platform, primarily around DevOps, monitoring, simplification and stability.
- Established engineering team culture and process
- Employee hiring, firing and reviews for a team of 11 engineers
- Budgeting, contracts for technical vendors, consultants and partners
- Analysis and planning of new partner and customer integrations
- Tech stack: AWS (EC2, Cloudwatch, ECR, lambdas), GCP (BQ, Firebase, GA, Compute Engine), GoLang, PHP, MySQL, Jenkins, Prometheus, Docker, Linux, SMPP